Maryland Paid Family and Medical Leave Insurance
Maryland employers can access disability benefits through a private plan that meets the requirements of the Maryland Family and Medical Leave Insurance program.
Coming Soon for Maryland Employees
Arch Insurance Group Inc., a market leader in statutory disability and paid family leave markets, may provide private plan insurance to Maryland employers who wish to use an alternative to the state program.
The Time To Care Act of 2022 (TTCA)*
The Time to Care Act of 2022 created a statewide paid family and medical leave insurance program for employees in the state of Maryland.
All Maryland employers with one or more employees will be enrolled into the state plan for PFML coverage. Employers are required to submit quarterly contributions (deductions from payroll) to the state; however, employers can file for a private plan exemption. With state approval, employers with private plan exemptions do not have to submit contributions to the state. Employers who file for an exemption must show proof of a private plan that, at a minimum, pays equal or greater benefits than the state plan.
* Maryland PFML program information is subject to change and was compiled from: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2022RS/chapters_noln/Ch_48_sb0275E
What’s Covered Under Maryland’s PFML Program?
Under the Maryland PFML program, an eligible employee may take time away from work for:
- Parental Leave: birth, adoption, foster care placement or kinship care (an undefined term) of an employee’s child during the first year.
- Family Caregiving: care for a family member with a serious health condition, as defined by the statute.
- Military qualifying exigency: attending to a qualifying exigency arising out of the deployment of a service member who is a family member, as defined by the statute.
- Service member caregiving: care for an employee’s next of kin who is a service member with a serious health condition.
- Medical: an employee’s serious health condition causing inability to perform the functions of his or her position.
Family and Medical Leave Insurance Timetable for Maryland
|date (subject to change)||REquirement|
|Jun. 1, 2023||Maryland Department of Labor expects to issue claim procedure regulations, set contribution rates and determine|
employer/employee cost sharing.
|Oct. 1, 2023||Contributions to the state plan are set to begin.|
|Jan. 1, 2025||Benefits are set to begin.|
State Plan Benefits
Under the state plan, eligible employees can collect up to 12 weeks of paid benefits. Employees who experience a serious health condition and qualify for parental leave may receive another 12 weeks of benefits in a single application year.
Equivalent Private Plan Details
In order to participate in a private plan, the employer must obtain approval from the Maryland Department of Labor.
Employers are permitted, but not required, to deduct from employees’ pay money to fund the equivalent program. The amount cannot exceed what employees would pay into the State program.
Maryland PFML Product Sheet
Learn more about Maryland’s Time To Care Act and the current coverage options it provides.
VP, Accident and Health
Assistant Vice President, Disability Underwriting
Insurance coverage is underwritten by a member company of Arch Insurance Group Inc. This is only a brief description of the insurance coverage(s) available under the policy. The policy contains reductions, limitations, exclusions and termination provisions. Full details of the coverage are contained in the policy. If there are any conflicts between this document and the policy, the policy shall govern. Not all coverages are available in all jurisdictions.